The Amble Estate, National Award for Excellence Finalist
The Amble Estate located in Perth’s northern corridor has recently been selected as the WA finalist in the UDIA’s National Awards for Excellence Program in the Environmental Excellence category. This residential development offers a range of affordable and environmentally sustainable land and housing options.
Porter Consulting Engineers were engaged by the Department of Communities through Yolk Property Group to prepare designs, documentation, tender and contract administration for Stages 1, 2 and 3 on an accelerated programme to transform the 4.2 hectare former Hainsworth Primary School site into The Amble Estate.
Innovations implemented include:
- Two large Stormtech chambers being installed in the Public Open Space to store the required 100-year storm event below, providing much needed landscaping above ground.
- Smaller underground soakage chambers that are connected first to a soakwell for sediment capture provide at source groundwater recharge for drainage events.
- Incorporation of an adjoining rundown public open space area at Roydon Park for a compensating basin that worked around the contours of existing trees and allowed the area to be used for on-site soakage and beautification through public open space upgrade works.
- Underground pillars and water meters in buried pits/boxes due to narrow 6 metre wide lots with rear laneway access and 6 metre garage width. A first in Western Australia.
- Use of recycled materials in road construction products.